Stupid Girls

Saturday, September 13, 2003

Money Hustle

I was running out of time. I was supposed to meet with the rental agent in less than a week. I was $25 short on the deposit.

I'm from Los Angeles. I'm still accustomed to scarce, affordable housing. One does NOT make a bad impression on potential land lords by showing up without enough money.

I have no credit; I had no leases in this town over 1 year old. I had no local references. I had little income. To me, the task of finding a place to live was, at best, daunting -- if not completely impossible. The 2 places I'd already rented in Albuquerque had vicious, chemically-dependent neighbors. I wanted a house.

So, I felt duty-bound to hustle that $25. Now, of course, I know the agent would have let it slide. Then, it seemed essential.

I can't do day labor any more: show up at an agency, early in the morning, get packed onto a truck to demolish buildings, tar roofs, landscape, etc. for minimum wage, paid in cash at the end of the day.

The other temporary agencies would take too long: forms to fill, placements to make, 2- and 3-week waits for pay checks.

I never even considered panhandling: begging for change from passers by on the streets. I've since had to resort to that, but I really HATE it.

What was left? The plasma centers. So, I started making calls.

I had consumed one, lousy beer (something I rarely do any more)the night before I called, so I'd have to wait 2 days. Shoot! Oh, well.

The nearest center was near the University. I got directions and instructions on what would be required. I got in my truck (now long-gone) and drove there, so I'd know where it was and where to park.

The day I was going was the day I'd have to meet the rental agent. It would be tight, but the plasma center assured me that, if I could be there when the doors opened in the morning, I'd be done well before my noon appointment at the house. It's only a ten minute drive. It would work.